Thursday, January 27, 2011

Byron and Fannie Stiles O'Connor


In the previous post, there was a link to the Boston School of Music and Endorsement to teach that Fannie Stiles received. Interesting to think that she entered this school sometime around the close of the Civil War. Previous to that she had attended school at Hillsdale in Michigan, some of which I will hopefully go into more detail in the future.

After Fannie finished school, she taught in Chicago. I have not been able to find out where she taught or who with. But sometime in that year, she became engaged to Byron R. O'Connor, a young doctor residing in Mishawaka. Below I am posting the newspaper article announcing their wedding. The incredible thing about this announcement, is that the Mishawaka Newspaper had a fire in 1872 and several years papers were lost in the fire, including the one for this date. This copy had stayed in my grandfather's family for years. I found it in his desk several years after he had passed away. What a thrill it was to hold this paper in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment