Friday, January 28, 2011

Always Dreaming

The number of times that I have picked up these old pictures and looked at them is beyond counting. Hours and hours have been spent in comparing pictures and trying to find out who this unnamed person is. Below is a sketch I found of my great-great-great grandfather John Alsop Stiles. He was born in Massachusetts and died in November 1850 in Mishawaka, Indiana.

Along with the sketch,I have a box of old daguerrotypes, and some have absolutely no name attached in their cases to tell me some clue of who they are. After looking online on ways to date the cases, I have been able to surmise that this specific case could very well have been from the late 1840's to early 1850's.

My dream is to identify the person, and of course I would hope it would be someone such as my John Stiles! Dreams.... Anyway, here is the sketch and the daguerrotype.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very interested in your box of daguerrotypes! I am descended from a younger brother of John Alsop Stiles: Charles Spelman Stiles, 1823-1905, my 2X-great-grandfather. I've done quite a lot of research (some of which I must still enter into my Family Tree Maker database), and have visited Granville, MA, where I saw (and photographed) the grave sites of Roger and Lucina (Spelman) Stiles, the parents of John Alsop and Charles Spelman Stiles. I ran out of time on that trip and didn't get to spend time doing research in archives, libraries, etc. Still, there's a possibility we may be able to help each other.

    ellriss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete