Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Frederick Family Photos

From a very faded letter addressed to Miss Golda Frederick, Holt, California and a return address of 224 D Street, Roseville, California. Postmarked 5:30 PM April 22, 1923. (The only changes I will make is to put in punctuation as there are no marks at all and the sentences seem to run on.)



Roseville, Calif. April 21, 1923

My dear Golda and papa,
Will write you a few lines. Grandma is very poorly. We have to lift her and move her just like a helpless baby. She has no more use of her limbs, not as much as a baby. Dr. Everett (?) told me yesterday there is nothing we can do but to relieve her pain. Golda, do not go in swimming, do not run the risk. Be careful of that fellow that has the green eyes (I thought that was cute :)). Papa you write a few lines once in awhile. (I don't quite understand this next sentence but will write it as it is before me) I am sorry that Mrs. Hickman have they still that old woman. Take good care of the cats, chickens and papa. Be a good girl and pray for mama. In these times of trouble we are all in God's hands. Anyway, Clarence was down last evening to see us. He is working pretty hard. They are putting in a stock room at Lincoln. Vic Brother and Clarence live together. They have rented two rooms. I will try and get some money to send to you and papa. The renter wants us to come down on the rent. I guess we will have to or lose our renter. You ought to see the little folks bring mother flowers. Well, I must close for this time. Ans soon (answer soon?). Love to papa and you. Mama



Frederick family below. Back row - Ray, Grandpa (Elam) Daniels, Clarence, Robert Highfill, Grandpa (Albert) Frederick, holding Robert. 2nd row - Catherine, Grandma (Katherine) Daniels, Grandma (May) Frederick, Irena Frederick Highfill. Down front, Golda Frederick, Loretta Highfill. Circa 1920.

Golda Frederick, Grandpa(Albert) Frederick holding Loretta, Irena, Grandma(May) Frederick, Grandma (Katherine) Daniels and Grandpa (Elam) Daniels. Probably taken around 1918 or 1919 as Grandpa Frederick is holding Loretta and Irena looks quite pregnant.


Four generations.... Irena, Grandma May Frederick, Grandma Katherine Daniels, Loretta and Robert Highfill. This last picture had to have been taken around 1920 as Loretta and Robert are both in the 1920 Census with Loretta as 2 and Robert as 11 months.


(I also want to make a note that the spellings for Katherine I have seen both ways. Her obituary had it spelled "Katherine" while I've seen it spelled "Catherine" on census records. I will presently go with the obituary spelling as I wonder that the newspaper would have been given the information directly from the family. I do realize I could be wrong, but I think that the gravestone also has it "Katherine".)

1 comment:

  1. That is so neat that you've been able to find some of those old letters. I really enjoyed reading this one! I love the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete